Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thoughts on Church Survival

While reading through some of my favorite blogs last night, I found this article on Desiring God's Blog about Survival. I found it to be an interesting take on something most of us fear - failure. This article is a reminder to live our dreams with an open hand, focusing on being the people God has called us to be. Here's a snippet.

On occasion I have said to the staff and elders that I don’t care whether Bethlehem goes out of existence, if in order to survive we become the wrong Bethlehem. If we can first settle the issue of what God wants us to be, who we are, what we are, what we believe and stand for (because we must), survival becomes secondary. If we survive, we survive. If we perish, we perish. If we grow, we grow. If we diminish, we diminish. To settle the issue of survival is freedom!

I found it encouraging from a church planting perspective, and I think you will too.

No comments: